"Where community and business are one."
 815-584-1830
 132 E Main St, Dwight IL
M-F 9am-2pm
Join Newsletter
Dwight Alliance
  • Events
    • Springfest
    • Walkabout Wednesdays
    • Kids' Kamp
    • Movies in the Park
    • Ladies' Night
    • Let's Buzz the Gut
    • Gala & Auction
    • Harvest Days
    • Basset Bash & Waddle
    • Small Business Saturday
    • Sleigh All Day
    • Santa's House
  • Visit Dwight
    • Calendar
    • Historical Sites
    • Dogs on Parade
    • Route 66
  • Community
    • Schools
    • Get Involved
    • Clubs & Organizations
    • Places of Worship
    • Recreation
    • Resident Resources
  • 2026 Sponsors
  • About Us
    • Contact Us
  • Events
    • Springfest
    • Walkabout Wednesdays
    • Kids' Kamp
    • Movies in the Park
    • Ladies' Night
    • Let's Buzz the Gut
    • Gala & Auction
    • Harvest Days
    • Basset Bash & Waddle
    • Small Business Saturday
    • Sleigh All Day
    • Santa's House
  • Visit Dwight
    • Calendar
    • Historical Sites
    • Dogs on Parade
    • Route 66
  • Community
    • Schools
    • Get Involved
    • Clubs & Organizations
    • Places of Worship
    • Recreation
    • Resident Resources
  • 2026 Sponsors
  • About Us
    • Contact Us

Historical Sites

The History of Dwight
To gain a deeper understanding of Dwight's history and the landmarks that shape our community, we encourage you to visit the Dwight Historical Society.  Their website, www.dwighthistory.org, offers a rich collection of photographs, archives, and historical context.
Picture

Bank of Dwight

​Established in 1855 the Bank of Dwight was the first business in town. The Greek Classic style was built in 1910 and expanded into the adjacent...​
(read more)
​... ​building in 1974. The domed ceiling and murals by Viennese artist Oskar Gross are highlights of the building.  In 2019, The Bank of Pontiac (current owners of Dwight Bank) gifted the bank building to the Dwight Economic Alliance to aid in its mission and relocated Dwight Bank to another downtown location.
Picture

Carriage House

​Built in 1896 the Carriage house was home to prize cattle and horses of the Oughton family. It was later transformed into a treatment and...
(read more)
​... recreation building for Keeley patients. Donated to the library district in 1989 it is now home of the Prairie Creek Library with the children’s library and a community meeting room on the second floor.

Picture
Freight Office
The former freight office is located to the south of the Depot. It was originally used to ship and receive goods for local businesses.​
Picture
John R. Oughton Residence
​The original structure, built as a boarding house in 1891, was moved to the current location in 1895, and used as a private home until 1928...​
(read more)
It was then given to The Keeley Institute and renamed The Lodge. Here patients at the Keeley Institute would stay during their treatment. Currently the building is used for fine dining and a reception facility. The former residence and grounds are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Picture
Keely Institute
During the late 1800’s Dr. Leslie Keeley was one of the first to treat alcohol as a disease. With his partners John R. Oughton and Curtis Judd, they...​
(read more)
​...​founded the Keeley Institute. It grew from its beginning in Dwight to over 200 branches throughout the United States and Europe. The stained glass windows designed by Louis J. Millet above the entrance depict the five senses . Dr. Keeley felt that all senses were affected by alcoholism. The facility currently is home to developmentally handicapped residents.
Picture
Peoples National Bank of Kewanee
(Formerly First National Bank of Dwight)
​Architect Frank Lloyd Wright designed and engineered the building of this bank in 1905. It is one...​
(read more)
​... ​of 3 banks still standing. It was expanded in 1970 an again in 1989. Throughout these expansions the original woodwork and design were kept intact.
Picture
Pioneer Gothic Church
Dwight’s first church was built in 1857 by the Presbyterian congregation. The Prince of Wales, the future King of England, attended church...​
(read more)
​...​here in 1860 while here on a hunting expedition. Currently owned by Dwight Township it is used for meetings and receptions.​
Picture
Railroad Depot
This structure is one of only a few stations between Chicago and St. Louis featuring the architectural design of the 1890’s. Designed by Henry Ives Cobb...
(read more)
​...​ in 1891, it was built in a Richardsonian Romanesque design featuring Bedford Bluestone from Indiana. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the building is home to the Dwight Economic Alliance and the Dwight Historical Society. The museum is open limited Saturdays and by appointment. The Dwight Economic Alliance office is open Monday through Friday from 8AM to 2PM.​​​

Picture
The Windmill
When this windmill was built in 1896 it was one of the largest in the United States. The windmill contained an 88 gallon cypress tank and...
(read more)
...the head was 16 feet across. With a depth of 840 feet it supplied water to the Oughton residence as well as the carriage house for the needs of their prized horses and cattle. Recently refurbished, the windmill stands as a landmark of Dwight.​​
Picture
Picture
Picture
Join Newsletter
132 E. Main Street | Dwight, IL 60420
M-F 9am-2pm 
Phone: (815) 584-1830
[email protected]
site by Kelson Web Designs  |  LOGIN