The Prince of Wales came to Dwight in 1860 on a hunting expedition. While here he stayed on the property of James C. Spencer. Baron Renfrew later became King Edward VII.
In 1897 David McWilliams gifted land south of Spencer’s property for a public park. The layout was designed by Ossian Cole Simonds who was a noted landscape architect, having designed Graceland Cemetery in Chicago. Named for our famous visitor of 1860, the park offers picnic shelters, private picnic tables, 3 large playgrounds, tennis courts, a baseball field and a walking path.